Thursday, May 25, 2006

Writers Wednesday 5/24/06

Many years ago my best friend from childhood and I made up a soap opera. We spent 3 years of our lives immersed in these characters, stories, plots, and lives. It was so much a part of my life that I knew the characters extremely well, like they were my family. I felt what the characters were feeling, I felt their pain and heartache, their passions and joys, their sorrows and grief. Though we may not have done this soap for many years now, it's still a part of my life as I think about it when I hear certain names, or certain songs.
The soap was called Dynasty 2 (after her favorite soap at the time). I wrote many many things for it, but I will share just a bit here (for today anyway).

The characters involved in this scene probably require some background.

Jeffrey Jordan- 44, lead singer in a rock band. The patriarch of the main family.
Mary Jordan- 40, Jeffrey's wife, housewife.
Candy Jordan (not shown but mentioned in scene)- 20, deceased. She was Mary and Jeffrey's daughter, was killed by a drunk driver a year ago.
Brad (can't remember his last name)- 20, Candy's boyfriend. Now currently living with Jeffrey and Mary.
Trisha- 5, Candy and Brad's daughter. When Candy died Brad assumed responsibility for her and was given custody of her on the grounds that he live with Jeffrey and Mary.

Dec 6, 1991- Friday Morning 7:30am

Scene 1: Jeffrey’s house. Living room. Jeffrey is listening to headphones and dancing around crazily. Mary is reading the newspaper. Trisha is watching cartoons while getting her school books together. Brad enters from the kitchen.

Brad: Trisha! Breakfast is ready.
Trisha: Yay!! I’m hungry!
Brad: Good. I made one of your favorites today. Strawberry waffles.
Trisha: Yummy!
Trisha runs out of the living room to the kitchen.
Brad: Walk!
Mary: You know, you don’t have to make breakfast every morning.
Brad: Well, I want her to start off her day with a nutricious breakfast. It’s the most important meal of the day.
Mary: I can’t believe how much you have grown up since…..
Brad: You can say it. You were going to say since Candy died, weren’t you? It’s ok. I’m moving on.
Jeffrey: (singing) Sad but true…..(still dancing around).
Mary: It’s just that you guys were so close.
Brad: yeah, we were. Can we please change the topic?
Mary: I’m just glad the judge agreed to give you custody of Trisha so long as you live with us.
Brad: Well, I would never leave Trisha to anybody. That girl is my world.
Trisha comes running to the living room.
Trisha: I’m ready for school Brad!
Brad: Did you brush your teeth already?
Trisha: yes
Brad: ok. Say good bye and we are off.
Trisha (to Mary): Bye grandma! (gives her a hug)
Mary: good bye darling. Have fun in school.
Trisha walks up to Jeffrey and taps him on the leg. He sees her and takes off his headphones.
Jeffrey: Off to school already kiddo? (picks her up) One of these days I’ll have to teach you how to play hooky.
Mary: Jeffrey!!
Jeffrey: hey! Just kidding! When you’re about 8 or 9.
Brad: You trying to teach her to grow up a hellraiser?
Jeffrey: Hey! All my kids were hellraisers! It’s a Jordan tradition!
Mary rolls her eyes. Jeffrey puts Trisha down.
Trisha: What’s a hellraiser?
Brad: come on Trish. Let’s go to school.
Trisha: all right.
She grabs her backpack and they walk out the door.
Jeffrey: Hey you. Come here.
Mary walks over to him and they embrace.
Jeffrey: I’m hungry.
Mary: Why didn’t you say so before? I could’ve…..
Jeffrey: Not for food.
Mary: mmmmm. Sounds interesting.
Jeffrey: Very.
They kiss and move toward the couch.

No comments: