Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Writers Wednesday 5/10/06

Here is a scene from the book I'm currently writing. It's Michael's point of view and actually appears more toward the middle of the book. This I think will be my last scene I will be sharing from this book, since I have every intent on finishing it and trying to get it published. Enjoy!


After several times trying and asking, Michael finally convinced Becca to spend lunch with him. It was Tuesday and she agreed to a lunch date in between voice coaching lessons. He wasn’t sure if she really wanted to spend her lunch hour with him, or if she did it just to be polite or shut him up, but either way he didn’t care. He had been anxious to see her again, knowing she’s been in town and not able to see much of her. It had been difficult for him, yet there’s that part of him that wanted to avoid her too. He remembered all too well what happened between them so many years ago, yet after all this time he couldn’t seem to stay away, like she was a strong magnet pulling him to her.
He watched her across the booth at Frida’s, a choice Becca had suggested, explaining she was in the mood for Mexican. He wanted to have her pick out the restaurant since she was only in town for a few weeks, and wanted to make sure she got to eat at her favorite places. Her hair had a darker shade to it in the darkness of the room, making her eyes look even browner. She was wearing a brown spaghetti strap halter top with a jean jacket, a pair of jeans, and brown sandals. Her toes were freshly polished red. Michael couldn’t help but admire how she looked, her face glowing as she ate her burrito.
“So how is the coaching going so far? Are you kicking Henry’s butt?” Michael was curious if she was enjoying herself. He hoped this would be a positive experience for her.
Becca nodded, her eyes glistening with excitement. “I don’t know about that.” She laughed, flipping her hair back over her shoulder. “More like he’s kicking my butt. I had forgotten how difficult it was to train and keep the voice in shape.” She took a sip of water, making a face as she swallowed.
“I see you still hate water too.” He chuckled, pointing to her water glass. He remembered even way back in the day she hated water. He would have to make sure she drank enough to stay hydrated. Some things don’t change he thought.
“I wish they would make this stuff taste better.” She scowled, making a ‘tsk tsk’ sound. “The things we have to go through to become a good singer.” Her voice was in a mocking tone as she shook her head.
He smiled and held a lemon in his hand. “You know, that’s why they make these funny little yellow things.” He squeezed the lemon in her glass, wiping his hand on the napkin afterwards. He motioned for her to take a drink. She smiled in approval. “Funny how that works isn’t it?” Michael laughed, wondering why she hadn’t done that earlier.
Becca pretended to smack her forehead. “Why didn’t I think of that earlier? I could have saved myself lots of misery!” Her smile broadened, lighting up her whole face.
“Are you enjoying being back in LA?” His voice was hesitant, wondering if he should ask. He hadn’t talked to her much since he dropped her and said fiancee at the hotel and wasn’t quite sure how she would react. He had been antsy to speak with her and spend time with her since she got here, but he also tried to keep his distance per her request. It was getting more and more difficult though as the days passed.
Michael gazed at her, seeing the stars shimmer in her eyes as she spoke. He could see the excitement in her face. “Are you kidding? I’m loving it! I so miss it: the weather, the restaurants, the ocean, everything!” Her hands were flying around as she spoke, her hair flopping back and forth. He could see that LA was part of her spirit, part of her soul. The old cliché came to his mind: You can take the girl out of LA, but you can’t take the LA out of the girl. It really seemed to ring true of Becca. He wondered why she ever left in the first place.
“Pardon me, did you say you miss it? Because I couldn’t really tell.” He pretended to not understand, attempting a serious look on his face. His eyes were twinkling with delight.
“Very funny Michael. I know you love it when I get all excited about something.” She tried to scold him, but was laughing instead.
“It’s cute to see your arms go flying everywhere and all the peppiness of a cheerleader. Some things haven’t changed.” His voice was nonchalant, hoping to keep things light and fun. He didn’t want to go down the same road they were on months ago. He made that mistake once, and he swore it would never happen again. He couldn’t afford to have her angry with him and run out on the project.
A moment passed of silence as they both ate their lunch. Michael glanced at Becca, gaining the confidence to ask the question.
“Tell me, isn’t there at least a part of you that misses all this?” He held her eyes as he extended out his arm. He couldn’t understand how someone who used to love singing so much, who felt it was her entire life, who loved the city around her, would want to move away, give it all up for someone who is nothing at all like her or can even understand her. He felt like she lost herself and is living a lie.
“You know Michael; we do have good Mexican restaurants in Milwaukee. I don’t think I miss this particular one.” Her eyes were wide and her voice was mocking.
He smiled, loving the friendly banter. They always could joke around with each other so well, feeling so comfortable with each other. “That’s not what I meant. I mean LA, and the singing. Don’t you miss it?” He gazed out the window for a brief moment, taking a breath. “Singing and music used to be your passion Becca. Ever since I’ve known you, it’s what you’ve always wanted. I guess I just don’t understand what happened to you.” He tried to keep his voice soft and gentle, but wasn’t sure how he was coming across. Her reaction was less than what he had hoped for.
Her face scrunched up in knots, her voice was harsh. “Nothing happened to me Michael. I just decided that music wasn’t for me anymore. I wanted a ‘normal’ life. I wanted to settle down, get a real job, get married, and have kids.”
Michael was felt a pang of hurt in his heart. “A real job?” He was stunned she would even say such a thing.
“I’m sorry Michael. I didn’t mean it like that.” She put her hand on his on the table. He ignored the way his heart thumped at the feel of her skin on his.
“I just mean that singing isn’t for me anymore. I have a different life, not necessarily better, but different.” She removed her hand and took a drink of her water now accented with lemon. He noticed how she avoided the initial question. She flipped back her hair and started wringing her hands.
“Yeah, I got that. But that’s not what I asked.” He called her on her avoidance of the topic. She was avoiding it for a reason and he wanted to know why and confront her on it. He knew she should be singing again and was trying to get her to see it his way.
“I should get going. Henry can be a stickler when it comes to being on time.” Becca changed the topic. It was just like her to run out when things got serious and she didn’t want to face the topic at hand. He was upset, yet he didn’t want their time to end together. He slipped his hand on her shoulder.
“You can’t leave without dessert. I know you and chocolate.” He attempted a joking manner, but failed. The banter they had earlier was gone. She was too caught up in the thought of getting away from him. He knew it wasn’t a good idea to get together for lunch, but he couldn’t help himself. He just needed to see her.
Becca smiled weakly, making his heart ache. “Thanks for lunch. I’ll see you next week.” She walked to the door and gave him a wave before walking out. He realized at that moment that whatever they had between them was definitely over. He may feel something for her every time he saw her or talked to her, but it was obvious she didn’t feel the same for him; or if she did, she would never admit it. He lost her a long time ago, and it was time he needed to let go.

No comments: