Thursday, October 20, 2005

Brenda...the author?

The day my presentation is due is coming up faster!! I'm really starting to get nervous about all this. I'm still rummaging through pictures and papers and such, trying to find things about my life that are interesting.
I did find many notebooks and papers and such full of poems, stories, ideas, and chapters of a few novels that I had been working on. I literally have a huge tote full of notebooks! I'm wondering why I ever stopped writing? I used to want to be an author when I was younger. I even majored in Creative Writing my freshmen year of college. Then I changed my major to English Lit....a little more vague so I supposedly could do more with it. Little good that did me! ha! At any rate, writing has always been my true passion. But for many years I stopped writing. I had writers block or just lost the passion to do it. Now I'm really thinking of getting back into it. I have so many ideas, so many unfinished stories, so many things to tell. One of these nights instead of turning on the tv I should sit down and write. I sometimes wish I hadn't changed my major. I sometimes wish I hadn't listened to my family that told me I wouldn't make it as a writer, that I wouldn't make any money and wouldn't get a job, and couldn't make a living at it. I felt so inferior, that I wasn't good enough, that I dropped out of school for a semester and changed my major completely. That's when I pretty much stopped writing too (except for papers for school). I wish now I hadn't listened to them, that I had gone on to prove them wrong, that I could make it as a writer. I even applied to the Children's Writing Institute (I think that's the name) and was accepted for their 18 month course. By the end of the course I'd have a completed manuscript ready to submit to a magazine or publishing company. But I could never afford the tuition. Maybe I should start a new blog for my writings..my stories I want to complete.

I've also been thinking about the soap opera my childhood best friend and I made up. I've been thinking about revisiting that again too. Ages ago we made up a soap opera....I still have tons of stuff from that. Still know all the characters....I won't go into detail at the moment, but that's been on my mind lately too. I think I will go through that stuff and see what I can dig up. Have I ever mentioned I wanted to be a soap opera writer? LOL Back then I would have been good at it! Now I'm not so sure....most of today's soap operas are not exactly very "Christian". I think writing for one would compromise my faith. Maybe I could start the first Christian soap opera?

Maybe I will be an author when I grow up.

No comments: