Saturday, October 01, 2005

100 Things About Me

100 Things About Me

1) I have 2 older brothers that are fraternal twins. They are 11 years older than me and I always felt like an only child since they are so much older than me.
2) I was in gymnastics when I was younger and wanted to be an Olympic champion. When I was in 7th grade I had to quit because I was too old to be a champion (I wasn’t at that level yet) and it cost too much to continue.
3) I loved horses when I was little- had tons of horse figurines- even wanted to own a ranch someday. Now I’m not too keen on them. Don’t know why either.
4) I had my first boyfriend at age 17 (senior in high school) and he was 15. (We’ll call him MC). After 1 month of dating I was head over heels in love- until after the second month he broke up with me because I wouldn’t sleep with him. (good thing I had morals!).
5) I have a thing for my best friend’s boyfriends. In high school my best friend at the time had a boyfriend I ended up liking. (We’ll call him ME). We never dated or saw each other while they were together (I’m not that kind of girl), but did have a fling (sort of…didn’t sleep with him either) just 2 weeks after MC and I broke up.
6) I do consider ME to be my 1st love.
7) I also consider ME to be the one that got away.
8) Relating to #5- a year later my other best friend had a boyfriend I was also interested in but never acted upon. They broke up and a month later I started dating him. I ended up marrying him!!
9) I have been to Disney World 3 times in my life- the latest was my honeymoon in 1999.
10) I have only gotten drunk twice in my life- both times were not very fun.
11) I have a BA in English Literature from Cardinal Stritch University in Milwaukee, WI. I still have yet to use my degree!
12) I spent my freshman year of college at Lakeland College in Sheboygan WI. I had a great time and learned independence. I don’t remember the classes at all!
13) I was so homesick I dropped out at the beginning of my 2nd year at Lakeland.
14) I only took 1 semester off, then started at Cardinal Stritch University.
15) I have 2 books full of poems I have written, mainly in high school and college.
16) I have several novels started but never finished any of them.
17) The best year of my life was my senior year in high school.
18) I grew up Catholic and always knew and believed in God, but didn’t become Christian until after I had a miscarriage last year.
19) I passed my drivers license test on the 2nd try. The first try the instructor told me I was too cautious.
20) I had severe post partum depression after Ryan was born. I was on Prozac for a year. I still feel guilty for not being there for Ryan the first few months of his life.
21) I’ve always been interested in Mozart’s music and life. I love the movie Amadeus and would love to go to Salzburg and Vienna to see where he lived and the museums of his work.
22) I am not interested in politics or news at all.
23) I’m addicted to soap operas. At one time I used to watch Another World, One Life to Live, All My Children, Days of our Lives, and As the World Turns. Now I just watch Another World and One Life to Live.
24) I tried out for cheerleading in high school but didn’t make it. I was a cheerleader though at both colleges I went to. Go figure.
25) I have never been out of the country.
26) I lived in Wisconsin for most of my life, with a year and a half in Omaha, Nebraska from 2000-2002.
27) I am a Green Bay Packers fan, even when they lose! I think Brett Favre is the best thing to happen to the team and hope he never retires!
28) A friend of mine and I made up a soap opera when we were in Middle School and High school. We named it Dynasty II, and it lasted about 3 yrs.
29) The characters we made up for this soap are so much a part of me and so important to me that I felt the way they did; when I heard a certain song on the radio I would cry or be angry or think of a certain character. It was like family to me.
30) The songs Beautiful in My Eyes by Joshua Kadison and Butterfly Kisses by Bob Carlisle always make me cry.
31) I wanted a big wedding with lots of people, a big white dress and all the trimmings. After it was all done I wished I had eloped! (Though I’m very happy I did have my big wedding!)
32) I have never smoked, done drugs, or skipped school.
33) I hated cats for most of my life, until I got married. We got a cat for our 1st anniversary and I have loved cats ever since! I love them more than dogs now.
34) I hated computers many years ago- when I was in high school and college. I never saw a need for them except to type out papers. Now here I am 10 yrs later, checking my email several times a day, a Community Leader and Moderator at a message board, I have a blog, and you can’t tear me away from the computer!
35) I have weird phobias- I am afraid of things floating in water. I refuse to take a bath for fear of dirt or hair in the water, and almost gag when I do dishes.
36) I am afraid of deep water- I cannot swim and refuse to learn. I refuse to go in water that’s deeper than 3 feet.
37) My first real job I had was at a local store the summer before my senior year in college. My mom made me get it. I worked there for 3 weeks before I had a breakdown and quit on the spot.
38) Most of my jobs I’ve had dealt with accounting and money; yet my degree is in English Lit.
39) I started going to school for Accounting, but I got pregnant the first month of my first semester, so I quit school after completing the first semester.
40) I can’t stand music boxes. I love to look at them, but can’t stand listening to them. They make me cringe and cry when I hear them and I have to leave the room.
41) I have the same reaction to baby toys that play lullabies. I had a very difficult time when Ryan was a baby since he would fall asleep to a lullaby toy.
42) My favorite book in the Bible is John. My favorite verse from John is 16:33; “In this world you will have trouble; But take heart! I have overcome the world!”
43) I’m thankful that I had a miscarriage in Feb. 2004. It was the single most horrible experience I’ve ever had, but I’m so thankful to have gone through it because that one experience brought me to Jesus.
44) When Ryan was 9 weeks old, he had a hernia with a distended bowel and had to be flown via medic helicopter (Flight for Life) to Children’s Hospital in Milwaukee. I am scared of heights and flying, but I braved it so I could be with him. It was also the turning point in my recovery from ppd.
45) My favorite job was working at a bank in Omaha called Pinnacle Bank. By the time I left that job I was doing the work of a Head Teller without the recognition or pay.
46) I never did read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin. I tried many times but can’t seem to get past page 50. Too boring for me!
47) My favorite movie is Back to the Future. I have the whole movie memorized.
48) I’ve always been very good at remembering numbers and dates, but always hated math and history.
49) My best subject in school was English; my worst subject was Social Studies/History.
50) I collect My Little Ponies- I have at least 30 of them- mainly from when I was a child. I try to get them now but don’t have the money for them at this point.
51) I didn’t have a Ken doll so I used one of the barbies I had and cut off her hair, dressed her in a jogging suit, and used her as a boy. I named him Jim. (Do you think I’m weird yet?)
52) I took 3 yrs of Spanish (2 in high school and 1 full year in college) but can only remember a handful of words now.
53) I’m really interested in learning sign language- I have taught Ryan about 30 signs.
54) I tend not to be motivated at all unless I have a goal or deadline. I like to do things (like write) but it won’t get done unless someone gives me a deadline to do it in.
55) The hardest professor I had in college was also my favorite.(at Cardinal Stritch). I learned more from her than anyone else. She was tough because she made me read the books and gave study questions, and on exams or papers I would have to “prove” what I said- back it up with quotes from the text.
56) My last semester in college (at Cardinal Stritch) was the worst semester I ever had. The President of the college had decided to fire half of the English department (my dept.) my last semester. So instead of looking forward to graduating, I was protesting on behalf of my professors. They all ended up being let go, but not without a good battle!
57) I’m very close to my parents. I call my mom almost everyday.
58) I have a huge phobia of thunderstorms, especially at night. I always have to check to make sure it’s not a severe storm, and if it is I am glued to the weather channel to make sure I am informed on when I would need to take shelter!
59) I’m a closet teenie bopper drama fan! I like teen shows like Degrassi- which happens to be my favorite. My best friend and I have Degrassi nights almost every week.
60) My kitchen is done in a strawberry theme.
61) I had a fantasy when I was younger to be a famous singer, even though I can’t carry a tune to save my life! I wanted to be the world’s youngest singer to win a major award.
62) Since I was 14, I’ve had a major crush/infatuation with Michael Lardie from the rock group Great White. I’ve had fantasies and dreams of us dating, getting married, etc. To this day I still really like him.
63) To go along with #62, one of my dreams has always been to meet Great White. Mainly Jack Russell and Michael Lardie. Still haven’t done that.
64) I’d much rather be hot than cold. If I’m cold at night I can’t fall asleep.
65) Christmas is my favorite holiday. I go all out for Christmas with decorations, presents, and I even start my Christmas cards in early Nov.!
66) My favorite family tradition on Christmas is opening presents and anticipating who gets the joke gift that year! We have a joke gift that goes around my family every year, and it’s a great surprise and fun to see who gets it! It’s just a potato peeler, but it sure gets a lot of laughs!
67) I didn’t know anything about football until I started cheering for it at Lakeland. Even then I just clapped when the others did without knowing what was going on. I had no idea what a 1st and 10 was! Now I love football and watch it almost every Sunday.
68) I got pg pretty easily with Ryan- only 6 months of trying. This time around is much more difficult- 20 months and still counting and on clomid.
69) After I finally do have a baby, I will be using the FAM method to avoid or achieve pregnancy. (Fertility Awareness Method). This is a natural method using charting temperatures and cervical mucus to detect fertility.
70) My favorite book is Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler.
71) I’m a pack rat. I never throw anything away. I keep everything from pictures, cards, and letters. It drives Bob crazy!
72) I love to make lists of things- list of 100 Things about me, list for the grocery store, list of things I need to do, things I would like to do, etc.
73) I used to dye my hair. I started it just after high school, dyed my hair blonde. I stayed that way for quite a few years. Then in 2001 I decided to try red. It was awful! It started as a very bright red, then changed to a purple, then finally faded to a lighter shade of red. I let it grow out and haven’t dyed my hair since! I’m thinking of going blonde again someday though.
74) New Year’s has always been a special night for me. My high school best friend and I used to spend New Year’s together. She would have a party every year and then I would spend the night after everyone left. We had a blast. That ended though when I went away to college.
75) I was at my heaviest weight in high school (outside of pregnancy). When I went to college I dropped 5 pounds, and have been the same weight since. I only gained weight when I was pregnant, in which I gained 27 pounds, but lost it all by the time Ryan was 6 months old.
76) Most of my closest friends I have met online- and I’ve never even met them!
77) My username for everything online is pookeybear2823, or just pookeybear. I got it from Bob. His nickname/pet name for me has always been pookeybear. I thought it was cute and it stuck.
78) I’m the only one that has EVER given Ryan a bath. It was part of my recovery when I had ppd. Bob encouraged me to bathe Ryan as something that would just be him and me. It helped me a great deal, and to this day I’m so proud to say I’m the only one that gives him a bath.
79) I have worn glasses since 3rd grade, and have been wearing contacts since 8th grade. Without my glasses or contacts I’m legally blind.
80) I’m very petite- only measuring at 4’ 11” and 94 pounds.
81) I’m not a morning person. I am almost always crabby in the mornings and don’t usually “wake” up or cheer up until a few hours later.
82) I’m not much of a jewelry person. The only ring I wear is my wedding ring. I have my ears pierced twice but only wear earrings twice a year. I rarely wear a necklace, and never a bracelet.
83) I have a tendency of losing my purse. I only bring a purse out with me if I don’t have pockets, otherwise I just carry a wallet. I always leave my purse behind somewhere.
84) I’m completely addicted to simplymom.com. It’s my home away from home, and I love the ladies I have met there! (If you are TTC you should check us out!!)
85) I love to shop Black Friday (Day after Thanksgiving), though I have avoided it the last several years. I don’t like to go alone and the deals haven’t been that good. I did go this past year in the afternoon for a few things.
86) I tend to be rather anal- I like things in a certain order or things done a certain way. If something is out of place it bugs me and I have to put it back the way it should be.
87) My favorite restaurants are Famous Dave’s Barbeque and Outback Steakhouse.
88) I am very pro-life.
89) Bob (my husband) is the ONE and ONLY man I have ever slept with. I’m very proud of the fact that I have only been with one man.
90) I hate coffee. I don’t mind the smell if it’s the flavored type, but I can’t stand any type of coffee, not even cappuccino or latte, or even coffee flavored ice cream.
91) I love to dance. I used to go to dance clubs when I was in college. Unfortunately Bob hates dancing, so I rarely ever dance anymore.
92) When I was little I would dress up in a leotard and skirt and make up routines to popular songs.
93) I love hot showers! So hot that my skin turns red!
94) I can’t stand taking a shower with anyone else. I tried it once…never again! My shower time is ME time!
95) I will NEVER wear anything orange. I don’t like the color orange at all.
96) I tend to get nosebleeds in the winter when it’s dry out, or when I get sick.
97) When Bob and I first got married I was sick all the time. I was in the doctor’s office several times a month for something or other. Bob used to tell me he wanted to trade me in for a newer model!
98) I secretly like to watch Ryan’s tv shows. (I really like Higglytown Heroes and Little Einstein’s).
99) I don’t like clowns. I’m not afraid of them…I just don’t like them.
100) When I was pregnant with Ryan I craved strawberries. I ate a pound of strawberries a day for 3-4 months. Good thing they were in season!
101) I drive a 1989 Oldsmobile Cutless Cierra. Not my favorite, but it still works!
102) I’ve only had 3 actual boyfriends before I got married, and each of those relationships only lasted 2 months.
103) My favorite car used to be a Dodge Neon or a Volkswagen Jetta. Now my
favorite car is a Honda Odyssey.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I love your list, Brenda! I can tell that you really dug deep for these! Thanks for sharing.