Wednesday, August 30, 2006

ahh, the memories

Today I took Ryan over to my parents house and I went out with my very good friend for a girls day out. A and I have been friends since we were about 4 years old. We used to be inseparable. If we couldn't see each other, we'd be on the phone with each other for hours. She is not only a good friend (back in childhood days she was my BEST friend), but she's like my sister. But as we got older, got boyfriends, went to college, settled down, etc, we still have kept in touch but don't see each other as often anymore. We try to get together at least once every few months. She works two jobs and I have a child, and we live about 20 minutes away (not that that's really far, but not as close as a block away like we used to).

So anyway, we got together today. We went out for lunch and did a little shopping, then just hung out, drank tea and chatted. Had tons of fun talking about old times. So nice to think back to how much we have been through, and it all seems like it was yesterday, yet so long ago. If that makes any sense. We've come a long way since we were kids playing barbies. We went from little girls playing with barbies, to teens trying to sneak out at night (hehe), to young adults dealing with boyfriend issues, to my wedding, my move to Nebraska, her college, my move back, her new live-in boyfriend, my pregnancy/baby, my new pregnancy, and now her engagement (FINALLY!). And of course all the in-betweens. So MANY in-betweens. Things we laughed about, cried about, got angry about, hate each about, made up about, and loved each other about. Ah, so many memories.

Anyway, it was fun. And I got to see her ring...as she is finally engaged. (took forever I tell ya). It will be fun going through the next chapter with her in her life.

2 comments:

and rudeness said...

That is so cool!

I am glad you had a wonderful afternoon. Mandacakes and I always say that we hope everyone has an "us" and it looks like you do!

Having someone that really really KNOWS YOU is great!

Cheers to friendships for LIFE!

Shawna said...

My childhood girlfriend just moved away this week. You made me realize how much I am going to miss her; sad things is, she lived 2 miles away and we rarely saw each other...both our lives so busy, mine so regulated with a husband who likes dinner at a specific time and no help what so ever with my youngest child, hers with business and wanting to drop by right at dinner time or calling at bedtime.

You make me realize that I need to focus on creating that sense of connectedness again. I need to cultivate real friendships...they seemed to have disappeared somehow over the years.

Good for you nurturing and protecting the friendship you created so long ago!