Friday, July 13, 2007

Life Goes On

Have you ever lost your best friend? I suppose not really "lose" them, as in you are not friends anymore, but as in your best friend has moved away?


One of my best friends is moving away at the end of the month. She will be moving to St. Paul, MN. (about 5 hours away).


Amy and I have been friends since she was 4 yrs old and I was 7. Technically I guess we were friends before that as my mom used to work with her dad, and we lived about a block from each other--not even a block...you didn't have to cross the street...just go around the corner and down a few houses.


We became very close as we got older. She has been like a sister to me. I think once we were in late elementary/early middle school is when we became "best friends." We did everything together. If we didn't see each other during the day or after school, then we would call each other and talk for literally hours on the phone. We made up the soap opera that I mention once in a while (Dynasty II). We spent several years coming up with plots and characters and scripts and so much more for that soap. It is forever burned in our memories and hearts.


In high school we discovered boys together. We would talk to them, talk about them, obsess about them. My senior year in high school was the first and only year we ever went to the same school together. I remember meeting at each other's lockers in between classes, decorating lockers for birthdays, just having a blast with each other.


As I went on to college and she remained in high school, we drifted apart a bit. I was into all things college and she was into all things high school....leaving a bit of a rift between us. We never stopped being friends...just drifted apart for a while.


When I got married she was my maid of honor. She will be getting married next year and I will be a bridesmaid (she was thinking maid of honor but didn't want to hurt other peoples feelings).


Of course, now that our lives are in different stages, we don't connect quite as much anymore. We see each other maybe once every few months. I'm married, have two children, a house, stay at home, into all things family. She is engaged, living with her fiancee, working 2-3 jobs, a very active social life. Our lives are in different places. But each time we do get together, it's like no time as ever passed since we were in school together. We find our nitch together and reminance about old times, talk about new times, the future, etc.

We've always got along well. We've had a few fights here and there, but have always made up and continued on.


I have so many memories of us laughing hysterically, crying when her grandma passed away, smiling on birthdays and celebrations, and celebrating every New Years together.


I went to her going away party in May. It's so hard to believe she is leaving in just a few weeks. But she won't be too far away...and hopefully, if I can financally pull it off, I'd like to take the train out to see her soon.


Thank God for cell phones...so we can keep in touch!!
This pic is from her tropical themed going away party. I'm on the right...the shorter of the two. LOL
I'll miss you Aimes. Love ya girl!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

awwww Brenda, i know how it feels Ive had a BF for 28 years, we are exactly 6months and 10 days apart, my mom and her mom were BF's also. we grew up together, were in the same class every year in elementary school, had alot of classes in Jr. high and high school, we were inseperable......then I got married and moved to Canada :o( I havent seen her in 4 years, we live 18 hours apart from each other now. We keep in touch via email and phone, but its not the same :o(