Saturday, August 06, 2011

Your number is up

Question: Do you have a lucky number and why is it so lucky?

Yes I have a lucky number. In fact, I have several lucky numbers. I'm one of those strange kind of people that has a bunch of lucky numbers (6 of them). Enough that I could probably use them to play Powerball or one of those silly lottery games. But technically these numbers aren't really lucky at all. They are more sentimental than lucky. I've never won anything by using these numbers or played the lottery or had anything of luck actually happen while using them. They are just numbers I like that mean something to me.

My favorite number of all of them is 28. I have a weird emotional attachment to this number. Yes I do realize that makes me sound crazy. As if one can be emotionally attached to a number. But I am. It stems from way back in high school when my BFF and I made up our own soap opera. Ah yes, those were the days! We were very creative at the time. Made up characters, stories, plots, all kinds of stuff. The only thing we weren't creative with was the name. (Dynasty II, or D2 for short). It was named after her favorite show at the time.

My favorite character of D2 was Andrew Zachary Springfield, also known as "Spike". He was a rebel without a cause. He was the rebellious, impulsive, tall dark and handsome, leather wearing, motorcycle riding, rock n roll singer with a chip on a shoulder type of guy but deep down had a heart of gold. He was the guy all women wanted to date and all the men wanted to be. He was in trouble with the law frequently and had issues with alcohol, yet there was something about him that made him irresistible. He had a rough life and an even rougher time when he made it big in the rock band. All that fame and money messed him up even more. But yet one felt bad for him because he didn't want to be the way he was. He wanted to live a normal life and live out his days with the love of his life, Surprise (yes, that was her name) and their daughter Monica, but something inside him always prevented him from being happy.

Spike was 28 yrs old. Not only was he my favorite character but I just felt very strongly about him. Not in the I'm-in-love-with-a-fictional-character sense...though that's a whole other post for another time. But we had a real attachment, a real emotional response to our plots and stories we made up. We felt the emotions of the characters, sometimes rather strongly. And I felt very strongly about Spike. He was so misunderstood.

So that is why 28 is one of my favorite numbers. It reminds me of a time in my life that meant a lot to me. Back when I was more creative than any other time. Back when the only thing I had to worry about was what plot was going to come next!
I miss D2 :)

No comments: