Monday, June 04, 2007

Neighborhood complications

My next door neighbor is moving today. She has 3 children....a 5 yr old girl (Ryan's "unofficial" girlfriend), a 2 yr old (whom I have known since he was 7 weeks old), and a 6 month old. Her and I have been very close in the last 2 years she has lived here. Her and her children are like my second family.....either we are over there or they are here at least twice a week. I also watch her kids when she needs to go out. I don't want to go into details due to confidentiality (not that any of you know her, but still...it's a private thing). But basically her and her husband are going through a very nasty divorce. The situation is REALLY bad. He moved out when the baby was only 2 weeks old, and just moved back in without her permission a few weeks ago. All her family lives in Sheboygan (about an hour away) so she will be moving back up there in 2 weeks...once the 5 yr old is out of school. The house is up for sale (has been since Jan.) but I don't know if the husband will be staying there or trying to sell. I don't get along with the husband at all...not due to the situation but just because he's a difficult person to get to know in the first place.I'm just so upset not only by the idea of them moving away, but the whole situation is just so horrible. I have noticed a HUGE personality change in the 2 yr old. He is scared of other men now and no longer is the outgoing, bubbly boy he normally was. It's just so upsetting to see him change so much. And my neighbor is just going through so much stress over the situation that she gets sick. I'm just in tears for her.I haven't told Ryan yet that they will be moving. It is going to crush him. He absolutely loves these kids. Every time he's outside (several times a day) he asks to play with them. They are his first best friends. I have no idea how I'm going to tell him...and I know it's going to devastate him.I'm just so sad and upset. It's so sad to see a marriage fall apart like this....and to see the kids so disrupted by it all. And I'm losing a very close friend.Of course I'll go up and visit her as it's only an hour away...but it's not the same. During nice days out we see each almost everyday....when we see each other outside we have impromptu playdates. Now we will have to schedule days. And of course I will still be talking to her via phone...but also not the same. I know I shouldn't complain about all this since I'm not the one going through the awful situation....but I also feel her pain and so wish I could do something. I'm just so sad.

UPDATE: I wrote this a few days ago. Things have changed...they are moving TODAY. Unexpectedly. Basically her "husband" is pushing her out. He has been packing boxes up for her and taking them to her living place.....and set up a truck and time for her to move out....today. She is upset and overwhelmed, as well as stressed. I feel for her.....as I didn't sleep at all last night (I found out yesterday about this) and am so sad, upset, depressed. And it doesn't help that Ryan has been asking all morning to go over there to play. I haven't told him yet. I have no idea how I'm going to tell him.

My heart is just breaking.

5 comments:

Shawna said...

Can the husband legally do that??

I'm so sorry, Brenda! It's hard to see a friend go through such things. And it's hard knowing the impact it will have on your own life as well. Ryan will be sad for sure...maybe they can set up a penpal thing, even if they only send pictures they draw and made up words and writing. It would give each of them something to look forward to inthe mail. You could decorate the envelopes with stickers of things the little boy likes and send some pictures of the two of them on occasion.

How can a man abandon his newborn child like that? How can he pack them up and move them out? He sounds heartless and selfish...it shocks me.

Unknown said...

Oh no! Im so sorry, she is in my prayers!

Cindy said...

Oh, how sad!

Shawna said...

I tagged you for a Meme on my homeschooling blog--link on my sidebar of Blogs I Visit :-)

and rudeness said...

WOW! I hope that the kids and her are safe and... sounds like, better off being away from him. I am sad for you to lose a friend that was sooo close to you.

You are the best person for her to be friends with... I hope that you guys can stay in touch.