Monday, July 03, 2006

No more rocking!

Tonight I tried something completely new. I stopped rocking Ryan before bed for the first time tonight. (yes, I'm one of those mothers that rocks their kids to sleep).

I used to rock him to sleep, then after a while, he didn't need it to fall asleep, but just as a means to calm down before bedtime, then it became more of a bonding thing.....more like a way for me to hold on to his "baby"-ness. A few months ago I toned down the rocking to just about 3 minutes...just enough to keep him and myself happy to get him to go to bed.

But the last few weeks he has been too resless during it...talking, fidgety...and I realized he's just way too big for this. Not to mention a new little one will be coming along....I will be too big to rock him soon, and with a new baby next year it just won't be possible. I sucked it up and decided tonight we would try something new.

We read books like normal, changed into jammies and brushed teeth like normal, then I told him to go to his room and I tucked him in. He understood when I told him he's too big for rocking. He didn't cry, but I did have to go in his room 3 times. He seems fine though. Ahhh, onto a new phase.

I'm so proud of him....and myself for letting go. :) It was hard to do, but it was time.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Awww... what a big boy he is now!

Anonymous said...

Both of my babies are growing up.!

Mom

Michelle said...

Hugs Brenda! That's just a small step on his way to being a big boy!!

Soon your rocking chair will have another child to soothe!